Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saving lots of monies.....

I was watching Oprah the other day. Actually I was watching Suze Orman, on Oprah. She was talking about how you can call up the credit card companies, and ask if they will lower the pay-off amount for you, as long as you are sending in a payment to pay it all off. She said a lot of times, they just want what ever money they can get from you, so they will lower it just to get a lump sum. As I thought about this, I thought about all the Dr. bills we have. (Pediatrician, OB, fertility Dr., emergency room for kidney stones) Needless to say, we have a bunch. I wondered if it would work for the Dr. bills......so I tried. I got on the phone, and started calling one Dr. after the other. The first one I called, the balance was about $130 (I know, probably TMI), anyhow, I simply asked her if I was to send in a pay-off amount, if there was any way they could lower the pay-off amount or give a discount of some sort. She said she would need to call me back. Well, I got a call about ten minutes later saying for some reason a few payments from my insurance company didn't get posted until this year that were suppose to be paid last year and now they owe me $94. What??? Ok, I am fine with that. Next Dr. I call, the bill was $324.....now I know this was not the right charge. I have had these services before and they cost about $60. So I spoke with the lady for a little bit about how this doesn't seem right. She looked at my account and said it didn't look right to her either, and that it should have only been a charge of $50. Fine, I could pay $50. Well, ten minutes later, they call back saying, it was posted wrong and now the charges are $0. What??? Zero balance.....OK, I can handle that. Next Dr. I call, they can only give me a ten percent discount, but it's still something. Next Dr. I call, the lady was very nice and she said she would cut my bill in half (which was over a $150 savings people). I was feeling stoked by this time. I called a few more and they all worked with me but one, which was fine. I tell you this not to brag (ok....maybe a little), but to let you know that this is possible. Also, that sometimes Dr.'s offices make mistakes, and it is up to us to point them out. A couple of these, I would have normally just paid, and not thought anything about it. Glad I called. Now you can do it too. With the hard times, I think Dr.'s just want to get paid something, rather than nothing at all. I added it all up, and saved us over $600 in Dr. bills....and it only took about a half hour. I think that's pretty good pay. My husband was pretty proud of me, and I could now say I contribute financially to this family......ok, kind of .... :)

8 comments:

Chance said...

that's awesome, Anj!!!

I highly suggest Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. The book has completely reinvented how Jenny and I approach debt.

Angela said...

WOW!!! Way to go Anj...that is so awesome. I think I may have to try that with some of my bills. Good for you!!!

Kim said...

I would be pretty proud of myself right now if I were you. I kinda had the opposite experience with a creidt card. I called and ask if they would lower our interest rate (it was at 19% I think) and the guy told me I could just go somewhere else if I wanted a lower interest rate so I ask to speak to him manager and a lady got on the phone and told me the same thing, so I did. I transfered my balance and went somewhere else. Anyhow...I'm glad this all worked for you!!

Jenny @ An Apple for the Crafter said...

You are a rock star! What a huge victory. Now all that money you saved can go to pay off another bill faster (and maybe treat you to a dinner out?) :)

Abby said...

oh my! that is incredible!!! so worth the 30 minute calls. i hate making those kinds of calls, but if it's gonna save us over $500- that's just great! i have been wanting to call of the companies that we owe monthly pymts to and see if they would lower our rates... haven't gotten around to it, but it's a thought. :)

Howells Fam said...

That's pretty darn impressive - I tried to get Clint to do that with Carlee's NICU bill, but he didn't think it would work, so we didn't. Maybe we should try it...

Kim said...

You must be paying your tithing!!!
That is pretty cool! Way to go to take the time out of your day...awesome!!! You are right...many mistakes are made. Brent always goes over everything with a fine toothed comb...and he has found many mistakes. It makes you wonder how much money people have spent that they don't need to!!!

Croslands said...

That's a pretty cool story. I saw it yesterday as I was running out the door and I cam back today to finish it. I like that I now have you as a perfect roll model for that Oprah show.